DVIDS – News – As tax center services are limited, USAG Bavaria offers other options

GRAFENWOEHR, Germany — The U.S. Army Europe and Africa will not be offering in-person tax preparation and filing services this year, due to budget constraints and personnel shortages. But there are free online services available for active members of the service; alternatively, service members may choose to hire a business preparer to file their taxes. Regardless of the method, individuals remain responsible for filing a complete and accurate return. So here’s what you need to know:

What you need to know about this tax year

Tax filing season began on January 24, and for most taxpayers the deadline is April 18, 2022. U.S. citizens living abroad get an automatic two-month extension. The extended deadline is June 15, 2022. As a reminder, remember that you must attach a statement to your return when you submit it explaining why you qualify for the extension.

Deposit Options for Service Members

The US military does not endorse any specific tax preparation service. However, these are inexpensive and free options for members of the USAG Bavaria community:

– H&R Block offers tax services at a reduced rate. In-person trading services are offered at the Tower Barracks Exchange.
– IRS: Free File is a public-private partnership between the IRS and many industry leaders in tax preparation and tax return software that provide their branded products for free.
– MilTax is a free, secure and confidential electronic filing software provided by the Department of Defense. Military One Source also offers access to tax advisors who can answer questions.
– TaxSlayer has a military offering that allows active duty military members to file a federal return electronically for free. Expect an additional cost when filing state taxes.
– TurboTax has a military discount that allows all active duty military and reservists to file their 2021 federal and state taxes for free. This offer is not valid for agents and excludes TurboTax Live products.

Documents you will need to file your taxes

When you use tax preparation software or a paid service, you will need to have certain documents. For service members using software, chances are you’ll need your previous year’s statement to create an account. Once you have created an account, follow the prompts to enter data from your current year tax documents. Finally, use your return from the previous year to verify your current return. Be sure to include all bank and interest bearing accounts, student loan interest, child care expenses, and taxable information.

– Social Security Card/SSN (or ITIN) for all persons claimed on the tax return
– Form W-2: shows the amount of taxes withheld from your pay for the year and is used to file your federal and state taxes
– Form 1098: Real Estate Tax Documents, Including Statements of Mortgage Interests
– Form 1099: Alimony, Child Support, or Related Payment Arrangements, Interest and Dividends, Self-Employment Earnings
– Any other documents showing earned income, such as scholarships
– Any documented income from rental properties
– Records of moving expenses related to new military posting, retirement, separation, etc.
– Receipts/documentation for franchises
– Information on the care of children and dependents

Although the 7th Army Training Command Office of the Staff Judge Advocate will no longer provide tax preparation services, OSJA will continue to provide free tax advice and assistance, such as tax review. a letter from the IRS, in the normal course of LAO. For more information on requesting a regular legal assistance appointment, please visit the AJS page.

Date taken: 02.07.2022
Date posted: 02.07.2022 09:56
Story ID: 414167

Web views: 12
Downloads: 0


Previous Global Mounted Spherical Roller Bearings Market Survey 2022
Next Spindle Ball Bearing Market Assessment of Recent Industry Developments 2021-2027 – The Grundy Register